Saturday, February 05, 2005

POWER/KNOWLEDGE

Well now that the cat's out of the bag ....in case you didn't know, Strom Thurmond had an affair with an African American Woman when he was 22 (she was 15) and then went on to fight against de-segregation in the Southern United States. Hmmmmmmm, pretty interesting stuff hu? The child who was the result of that affair has now written a book entitled DEAR SENATOR: A MEMOIR BY THE DAUGHTER OF STROM THURMOND.
This is proof that indeed man can live a lie. I wish all the very best to Essie May Washington-Williams, and hope that your story makes big headlines....unfortunatly to date I've only seen it in the Canadian press.

Thought of the day,
"Feminist movement is vital both in its power to liberate us from the terrible bonds of sexist oppression and its potential to radicalize and renew other liberation struggles." Bell Hooks

"The real world is to a large extent unconsciously built up on the language habits of the group...We see and hear and otherwise experience very largely as we do because the language habits of our community perdispose certain choices of interpretation." Ben Lee Whorf

1 comment:

TonyGuitar said...

I realize this is deep water here. Your book list inclues Kafka, while my much shorter list consists of Computer World and Guitar One magazines. Even I can see there are more layers and shades of grey here than simply a lie living politico. My goose is kooked. Running for office in my case is out. My Blogs have hanged me. Political opponents would have a field day. TG