Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media

What if the government and media corporations effectivly created a propaganda machine in order to manipulate the opinions of the populace? I am regularly floored by the information that appears on the www. I'm such an information junkie that I try to limit my time on-line otherwise I'd develop carpel tunnel ....vision. One of my favorite thinkers is Noam Chomsky simply because he is one who refused to buy into the system which we call economic motivated democracy in the early twenty first century. It's not without it's issues.

Called the most influential thinker today his words are not to be taken lightly. Interestingly enough when I asked my fourth year history prof about Chomsky he said he was over the top and not to be taken seriously. Needless to say I didn't bring him up again...in order to pass...but...I always wondered about his critique of American foreign policy. Especially today...his seems to be more and more real in comparison to what we hear in the media today. What if the system is operating with a designed outcome in mind attempting to shape our outcome? What if the system is not free at all but controlled? If this is so then what is to be made of the American dream espousing freedom and rugged individualism. A sham...a lie...a play...what if we are errand boys sent by grocery clerks .....no-bo-dies....
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What if government and media cooperate to produce an propaganda machine in order to manipulate the opinions of the populace.
What did you dream? Its alright we told you what to dream.

Or is it unemployment?
Or is it underemployment?
Or is it governmental burearcracy?
Or is it the failure of seperate systems to commuicate effectivly?

Read America's "War on Terrorism" by Michel Chossudovsky

As for the Bin Laden reponse to the US smashing of al-Zawahri's face "fuck you asshole." Holy War my arse....

No comments: